Tuesday, April 1, 2008

TF2 Fun and Updates

Somehow I always get pitted against Jin in multiplay games. UT3, StarCraft, and now TF2. He got me several times. He was just on fire, hur hur hur....

Anyway, we had a fun session yesterday evening. Mike joined us as well, and I decided to stretch my experience in the game. I'd never really played an engineer, and before I nearly always took the teleporters, dispensers, and friendly turrets for granted.

Man the class is hard to play well.

Construction placement is so nuanced. I don't know the maps incredibly well, so it's difficult to find the place for turrets in chokepoints, or place dispensers and teleporters close enough to the action but not close enough that everyone gets killed. Definately requires practice.

But I spent most of the evening as a healbot. Earlier I was playing as backup to Mike's heavy. We had several good uber charges. But here's him in his astute soldier guise. Note the jutting jaw and dull grin.


Not only is TF2 fun to play, it's free to play, once you actually purchase the game, unlike those poor souls on Live. In addition, when the PC crew will get free updates and a new map sometime later in april, it's like consolers will have to either pay or not get it at all. Seems like a pretty crappy deal to me.

Unfortunately for PC gamers, it seems those of us who were smart enough to pick up the Orange Box while it was available made the smart choice. Word on the street is that Portal and TF2 will be $20 and $30 respectively, and that Orange Box may no longer be offered on the PC. Not that those definately aren't worth the money; they are. It's just that Orange Box is, for lack of a better term, $100 pounds of awesome in a $50 pound Orange Box.