Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Gotta Catch Most of Them

My son has a fever, and the prescription is Pokemon. I can't help but help him out.

We have Pokemon Diamond, and have had it for a while. I played through the game quite a ways before getting bored -- almost every battle is the same. But I had to pick it up again because he just loves some of the legendary pokemon, specifically Dialga, whom he has named Whiskey. I managed to play through to where you can capture the legendary, and came to enjoy the game again.

While still quite a bit repetitive, getting your little monsters higher in levels is pretty satisfying. And because the game allows you to repeat instances earlier in the game, you can always go back with your lower-level guys and train them up a bit more.

The driving factor really has been Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Several of the Pokemon from Diamond and Pearl are in Brawl, so it just feels fun to catch those we're familiar with. I'm trying to get Lucario now, which is an involved process of procuring an egg, tending to that egg by walking with it all over Sinnoh, hatching it into Riolu, and then leveling him up to Lucario.

I tell myself that it's for my son, but in reality, the little monsters may have gotten their adorable and terrible hooks into me.