Tuesday, April 29, 2008

An Evening With Kart Online

I played some Mario Kart over Nintendo WFC for probably longer than I should have last night, but it's just too fun. Random pickup groups are a blast, cause for shaking fists in anger and pumping fists in satisfaction. There's just nothing quite like running people over when you're a massive Bullet Bill, or just massive when you pick up a Mega Mushroom.

The game tracks your online progress using VR points, among other statistics. I have no idea what VR stands for. But you gain points for coming in the top three or four finishers, depending on how many people are in each match, and lose for coming in the bottom three or four. I've gotten up to about 5400 points, as I win more than I lose. But those 10th place finishes are still possible, and hearbreaking, especially when you see your rating plummet.

The game also tracks a number of other statistics, including your first place finishes, your bumps and item launches, all kinds of stuff. Really cool to watch and see just how many times you've ran into someone.

Online play is just a blast, it's the core of the game, and it shows. Multiplay Kart is where it's at.