Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Further PC Gaming Goodess -- Demigod

I contend PC gaming is just where it's at. SSBB notwithstanding, there's so much goodness to be had.

This epic thread, entitled Reasons why it's worth to be a PCgamer in 2008 (not to be confused with the magazine) list many reasons why PC exclusives are to drool over -- Sins of a Solar Empire and StarCraft II are just the tip of the iceberg.

However, a new game I hadn't seen yet seems very intriguing. It's called Demigod, and it comes from Gas Powered Games Chris Taylor and friends. Reportedly heavily influenced by the WCIII Defense of the Ancients (DOTA) map/mod stylings, the sheer scope of this game is arresting.

(Image reposted from 1UP.com, not my work.)

A blend of RPG and RTS, Demigod will bring the DOTA gameplay forefront by focusing on heroes -- those customizable, leveling friends from many other games. But you also get to build your base, and just massive units, to go with them. Looks like a much more intimate scale than the prior work of Gas Powered's Supreme Commander.

A funny dovetail with Sins of a Solar Empire -- both games share Stardock as a publisher! I was very happy to install my retail copy of Solar Empire easily and run it without requiring the CD. Kudos to Stardock for not punishing people for buying their game.

And let's not forget that Guild Wars 2 should be rearing its dragon-sized head sometime in 2008. ArenaNet keeps saying a beta is just around the corner... Sign me up!

It's good to be on the PC -- but I'm also hedging my bets with the Wii.