Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Webgame: Travian

Mart introduced me to a neat little web-based game: Travian. It's a Civilization-style builder strategy game. You upgrade your city, gather resources, explore your surroundings and beat up your neighbors. I've had fun with it getting started, but like many other online games, I'm sure to run into my biggest problem with online games: other people.

If I'm building my little city, I just want to be left alone. Don't come take my resources; play nice and get along. See if you can win through better strategic planning for your economy and your skill at trading. Fighting is for those who can't imagine a more profitable way to win.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy crushing others in the context of games, but it has to be on my own terms, and in those games where combat is the focus, or the sole activity. And I'm frequently only responding in kind, rather than being an aggressor.

Of course, that's small comfort to those on the opposite end of a horde of Zerg Guardians.

Until I bump up against the expansion of others, Travian is a nice distraction, and it certainly is convenient.