Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Sins of a Solar Empire -- Ships in the Night

Midway through a game of Sins of a Solar Empire, I'm about to launch an attack on an enemy faction who shares a star system with me. I've assembled a fleet of a quartet of capital ships and a balanced accompanying fleet consisting of robotics cruisers for repair duty, Krosov planetary bombardment frigates, along with anti-fighter and long-range missle frigates for support. I have a decent idea of where the enemy homeworld is, and I send my fleet out to feel them out.

Unfortunately, so do they.

The two fleets pass on the way to one another's space, and the scene is set for conflict.



I quickly build up another force at the volcanic world I departed from in order to meet the enemy force and hopefully redirect them back towards my main force. It works, and they bail out.

I then manage to hop two more planets towards their homeworld and set up another colony to trap their main force. I set up phase lane inhibitors to slow down their retreat if they attempt to bounce back again and summon additional reinforcing gauss guns and frigates.

They don't get away this time.



I wipe out their force to the last ship while losing only a handful of frigates. What the video doesn't show is me taking the fight to their homeworld, now nearly lacking in protection aside from a single capital ship and a handful of defensive emplacements. With this world gone, I will have the sole presence in this star system and can then take the fight beyond.