Monday, September 28, 2009

Rolling on With Katamari Forever

Great LAN party. I had my fill of Demigod, and Company of Heroes and Team Fortress was fun as well. Mostly it was great to get to see people from out of town, and get some serious discussion of PAX done!

Had a chance to close out the weekend with some more Katamari Forever. The game is cool and real casual, but I take it way too seriously. Some of the levels are pretty tricky with how you should go through them (specifically the Venus-building money level in the forgetful King's Cosmos), and I just can't do it well. Even though it's a little frustrating, it's fun to keep retrying.

However, a couple of the levels I managed to score a 120 out of 100, and that's supremely satisfying. The King dialog is great as well, his feigned surprise at your scoring over the total amuses me greatly. The dialog throughout the game is great, and I especially like the insulted tones in which each of the kings address you if you start rolling before they're done telling you the goals of a level. It's the details on this game that make it more than just rolling up a bunch of crap on a ball.