Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

When I picked up Scribblenauts last week, I also picked up the new Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Initially I played Scribblenauts, but once I started in on Bowser's Story, I have not been able to put it down. It's just a lot of fun.

For starters, it manages to meld classic RPG elements of equipping and levelling up characters with action and timing gameplay elements characteristic of side-scrolling Mario adventure games. When I found myself as Mario and Luigi returning adrenaline particles into Bowser's arm muscles via hammer bashes in a kind of rhythm game in order to pump him up enough to lift an entire castle, I knew the game was pretty special. There are so many crazy gameplay moments that you just can't see anywhere else. Bowser's towering hulk blowing massive fireballs, so cool. So many others, they're all great action elements and are a good break from the turn-based combat.

However, even in the "regular" turn-based combat in the game, you barely sit still. This ain't Final Fantasy where you hit "Attack" and come back twenty minutes later with a sandwich. You have to jump and hammer enemies in evasion and counter-attacks. As Bowser, you have to shield yourself or punch out those foolish enough to step up to the Koopa King. Long Mario's punching bag, you get the feeling that if he had a little more brainpower to match his brawn, Bowser would have been running the Mushroom Kingdom a long time ago, because he's a rough dude. It's a blast to get to play as him.

Bowser just steals the show. The character portrayed in the game is this kind of dimwitted but intensely strong anti-hero that you can't help but laugh at and cheer on. Yes he's just plain mean, but hilarious to watch do it.

So much of the game is just plain funny. The RPG tropes that get stomped all over in several sections really cracked me up. My favorite was the boss who advised you to go and save your game, because you never really know what's going to happen next! From Bowser's funny dialog to Mario and Luigi's emphatic gestures and fast Italian speech, all the elements are there for an amusing, quirky ride.

The game looks great, too. Mario and Luigi are bright and animated, Bowser is hulking and detailed, and the environments are lush and cool. Soundwork is the same high quality, from hammer bashes to flame bursts.

Wow I just can't say enough about how good this game is. Six hours in and not once have I been frustrated or lost or unhappy. Every combat is interesting and crazy, from the enemies to special attacks to shifting internal and external combat.

I'm really happy I picked this game up, and if you like RPGs at all, this is not one to miss.