Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Bofors rule the day

Greg and I had a chance to play a couple matches in Company of Heroes last night. We started out on Point du Hoc with a pair of hard computer opponents, one each of Panzer Elite and Wehrmacht. They just wrecked us. Greg got hit hard, then I had to pull back from the center victory point after being challenged by several light PE vehicles supported by troops. After I dropped back to my initial starting point, they all went to Greg's base and just wiped him out. I fell soon after.

We restarted, and this time we were on the opposite site of the map. I learned my lesson and I made sure the light vehicles would be punished for pushing into my territory. I made for Sappers as quickly as I could, while Greg held the north flank. Because his position was solid, all the light vehicles tried to come down my way. A Vickers machine gun nest on the southern munitions point provided for a way to anchor my territory. Three scout cars fell to this one emplacement, and they were never able to take back the point. By holding it, I ensured I could place emplacements, a Bofors that dominated the area, on the road just back from the center victory point where in the last game I had to fall back. Not this time.

As you can see in the video, after the center Bofors was up, I didn't have serious problems from light vehicles. A timely Stewart canister round removed opposition to the center as I moved in and held, and them managed to push forward to their bottom base. After I built emplacements just outside their base, even a pair of Panthers couldn't push me back. AT guns ended their run, by putting accurate fire on their base and tanks, even though I lost a pair of Churchills to Luftwaffe anti-tank aircraft fire. Greg handled the top of the map well while I grabbed the beach as our own, and even a German flanking move couldn't get back territory relevant to their effort, and we finished them off.

Enjoy the video.