Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Nvidia GT280 -- Eating My Words

Nvidia has just dropped a new video card retailing for $650 dollars. Called the GT280, it has 1.4 billion transistors, and uses as much power as most nerd's entire computer rooms. It should destroy anything else on the market, previous-generation Nvidia and the poor ATI guys as well.

The only thing is, it doesn't.

From what I've seen, dual Nvida 8800GT's running in SLI mode beat the new GT280 in benchmarks in Crysis and in Call of Duty 4. Yes, two cheaper cards (likely one of which you already have) will get you higher performance at a $400 price point than a $650 card will. Simply shocking. What I said would never happen has happened.

To all my friends: I apologize. Finally, I've been proven wrong. Two 8800 GT's can outperform a video card two generations beyond for nearly half the price. What a fool I've been.