Monday, June 9, 2008

It's Massive!

It hasn't been Mass Effect that has consumed my time -- well, not completely -- but wedding madness and after-parties with friends. It was an incredible weekend where I saw two dear friends married... But enough of that! On to gaming.

Although Bioware would have you believe Mass Effect is named so because of the technological event that changed the course of human history. I believe it's named for the feeling you get for being crushed underneath the entirety of the content in this game. There are so many side quests, missions, and collectables to pursue while saving the galaxy from annihilation. I've done every single one.

The dialog system within Mass Effect nearly allows a true role-playing experience, where you can behave just how you think your character should. While choices are often only limited to good guy, bad guy, or middle of the road, it's the sum of choices that make your character who he or she is. I've been playing a real stand-up guy, trying to solve things peacefully and without conflict where necessary, and that's been pretty fun. The Charm attribute opens additional dialogs that often serve to defuse situations, making them highly attractive to my play style.

I'm not really sure how far into the game I am at this point; I've taken my time and enjoyed exploration. This could be the most expansive and enjoyable video game RPG experience I've ever played.