Monday, October 5, 2009

More Fun With Mario, Luigi, and Bowser

Only had little pieces here and there to play more of Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, but it continues to delight. The game can be pretty tricky, meaning the difficulty of the fights can be tough I think if you don't do the timed battle responses well. I have some trouble getting the timing right for counter-attacks dropping down from the top screen, but I guess that's the point. However, a little practice makes perfect.

I have the feeling I'm well over half-way through the story of the game, with most areas unlocked. It still feels very fresh, and I love the way that additional abilities and ways of moving around the game world continue to be unlocked. The world itself isn't very big, but because you keep opening up new ways to jump, swirl, burrow, and slide, you can reach farther and higher to access previously unaccessible areas. Makes me really appreciate the design of the world.

The Bowser boss fights have been a lot of fun. Particularly the last fight I had with a train rumbling down the tracks. The train entered into a hill and transformed the hill into a living construct that healed when clouds rained on it. Really imaginative. And satisfying when I slammed that hill into another barrier, exploding it. I finally got that train and those traitors inside! They'll think twice about crossing the Koopa King!