Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Ninjatown!

I just came back from lunch with the new DS game Ninjatown in my hand. Man it's adorable and great fun. A bit of a twist on the classic Tower Defense-style gameplay, you take the role of the Ol' Master Ninja, the leader of the defense of Ninjatown. You must defend Ninjatown's cookies against the hordes of Mr. Demon who wishes to take then Ninja-Cakes for himself!

I already love the audio of this game, the music is really fun and upbeat, and the combat noises are spot-on, punch and kick styles that bring you back to kung fu movies. The art style is great too, a very cheery cartoon style with little creeps versus little ninjas. The gameplay itself is solid, nothing really new about it from any WCIII style TD map, but it's definately simple and quick, you can zoom all over the map placing buildings on the touch screen while the overworld map appears on the top screen. It seems to find a home on the DS where you can tap on the map to place or upgrade your buildings which spawn different types of ninjas with which to defend your confectionaries.

There's a single-player campaign and a multiplay mode that supports two players in a head-to-head match of last man standing! I can't wait to try out the multiplayer. The single-player campaign seems beefy. I've tried the first mission that took me about ten minutes and my campaign is now 2% done. If 1 mission is 2%, that means there are 49 more to go! And all promise to be much more complicated that the very simple first learning mission I went through.

Ninjatown got me interested again in the DS! It's over 9000!!!!