Friday, February 27, 2009

Open Letter to Stardock

Dear Stardock Corporation,

I wanted to write to you regarding my recent experience with your new ImpulseDriven storefront.

When I first learned about Impulse, I was a little skeptical.  I didn't think the world needed another Steam.  I was wrong.

I was a customer of yours before the launch of Impulse.  I purchased a boxed copy of Sins of a Solar Empire at retail, and was happy to see a smaller publisher and smaller game development company join forces to release an incredible game that I could install and play without DRM or other hoops to jump through.

Now, with Impulse, that install process is even simpler.  Although I bought my boxed copy at a retail store, my registration was pulled directly into Impulse, where I easily updated my game quickly and painlessly.  I decided to try my first purchase through Impulse, and I bought Sins of a Solar Empire: Entrenchment.  The process could not have been simpler.  I entered my information and Impulse downloaded, installed, and patched my game without requesting additional information or even my game CD.  I was up and playing the brand-new game in minutes.  I was excited to purchase Entrenchment, and I look forward to the release of Braid and other titles through Impulse.

So thank you Stardock.  Thank you for being a trusted publisher.  Thank you for teaming up with development companies like Ironclad Games and independent developer Jonathan Blow of the highly acclaimed Braid to expand its audience beyond XBox Live Arcade.  And thank you for trusting your customers enough to not bog us down with costly, buggy, and punishing Digital Rights Management.  I hope gamers like myself and others have provent that you don't need to protect your products with DRM to make money -- you simply have to make them good.

I look forward to using Impulse in the future, and implore you to continue proving to your peers in the video game entertainment industry to value their customers, rather than exploit them.

Your fan,

Milden Gaming