Monday, February 16, 2009

More Prince of Persia

I've spent a bunch more time within the new Prince of Persia game, and it continues to delight.  It's incredibly cinematic, with great boss fights and the expansive feel of the environments.  You can see for miles around you, the draw distance is so great, that it's awesome to look back and see this massive tower that you were just crawling around.

I really like the hybrid pathed / open world progression of the game areas.  Basically you can go wherever you want whenever you want.  Only, you require certain powers to gain access to the boss fights.  You must unlock these powers by collecting light seeds that only spawn in areas you've already cleaned up.  So you choose where you want to expand by progressively unlocking required transportation powers.  It's a very cool method of semi-openworld play.

At the beginning I thought it would really be a drag to go back through areas to collect all these light globes seeds.  As my wife will attest, I'm a terrible 100%'er, never really bothering to find and collect things in any game (my 5 of 200 pidgeon count in GTAIV is one example of this).  But Prince of Persia makes it so enticing precicely because of the changes that you effect in the game world.  By cleaning the corruption, the very environment is changed, and turns from dark and dreary to verdant and beautiful.  It's really a reward to go back through the acrobatic puzzles once again just to drink in the newly lush environment.

Prince of Persia really is a great game experience.  It's like walking through a set of two paintings, and the first makes you appreciate the beauty of the second.  I'm halfway through the game, and I'm really afraid that it'll be over before I know it.  I guess good things are like that.