Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor

As anyone who knows me knows, Company of Heroes has been one of my favorite games of the past two years. It's been over a year since the last expansion, and nearly three since the original game released. Now a third expansion looms, entitled Tales of Valor.

Slated for an April launch, Tales of Valor again expands on the core gameplay of Company of Heroes with additional campaigns, vehicles, and multiplayer game modes. Similar to the previous expansion Opposing Fronts, Tales of Valor will be a stand-alone game, not requiring either previous game to play and enjoy.

I find the new campaign segments interesting, as they are reported to focus on smaller groups, where Relic can create a narrative surrounding a small group of soldiers that you control. I am a huge fan of the award-winning HBO mini-series Band of Brothers, and this gameplay mode makes me think of the events portrayed in that show. Relic may manage to capture the heroic and desperate feel of wartime action, reaching a higher level of story-telling within the gaming arena. I'm very much looking forward to it.